Sunday, October 16, 2005

Not all bears bite



Left: Dad, Pyramid Point.

Right: My dad and brother.





Left: The "Sleeping Bear", along with Lake Michigan and South Bar Lake.


Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is in the northwest corner of Michigan, not far from Traverse City. The name comes from a Chippewa legend about a mother bear and her two cubs. That story, and other information about the Park is nicely summarized in this article from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Bear_Dunes_National_Lakeshore

As said, I was able to get up there for a few days while I was home last month. Since I was kid, my family has been coming to this area to hike the dunes forests, swim the inland lakes, and canoe and kayak the Platte and Crystal rivers. My dad, brother, and I, along with 10 other people and a flight attendent with a morose but hilarious sense of humor, flew from O'Hara to Traverse City in a mere 45 minutes, a far cry from the six hour drive that usually gets us there. Unfortunately, Mom couldn't make it up this time.


Though these are some spectacular pictures, they don't do the ever changing sand dunes and inland lakes justice. Only a visit can achieve that.


Kayaking the Crystal River.

Portage.

And the other side.


The cover shot for my upcoming album.

Lake Michigan. Yes, it might as well be an ocean.

Parting Shot


No comments: