Monday, July 17, 2006

The Triumphant Return of Extraordinarily Ordinary

When you first arrive in a foreign country, you go through a honey moon sort of period where everything is extraordinary and little bad can be found. With time, a routine sets in and with it, the reality that every place has it's flaws. Those unique facets of life in Japan become mundane, easily passed over. The digi cam, the one you bought in Japan because this country supposedly has the best electronics on Earth (true, but all can be bought for the same or cheaper in the States), becomes tragically underused.

As I ready myself for greener pastures outside of Japan, the mundane has suddenly become novel yet again. If you don't believe me, look at the recent posts. Mannequin scare crows, gyoza.......no, I'm not bored, just nostalgic. I want to take a tangible record of the little things back home with me, something to look at down the road. So, I hereby launch part 1 in what is sure to be a half-assed series of Japan through the eyes of a confused foreign.

Behold! The effects of a shamelessly commercial society hopped up on a language they don't really understand:



Left- T-Shirt. I've heard a similar line used about Jesus. Instead, we here in Japan embrace Mule. He's just as good as Jesus and will carry your pack if you get tired while hiking the Grand Canyon.

Below- Hooded Sweatshirt. No comment needed due to a 10/10 rating on the bizareness scale.

Pencil Case. This is so cool I had to post the picture twice. Owned by an 8th grader who I'm sure doesn't smoke weed, nor even know what it is. I've seen senior citizens wearing sweatshirts covered with pot leaves here. Complete ignorance makes for trendy fashion I guess. Other great pencil cases that I've seen have said, "Your pretty face is going to hell", "When I die, bury face down so that the world can kiss my ass", and "Man made booze, God made weed.....who do you trust?". All belonged to junior high students who had no idea what their pencil case slogans meant. Classic Japan.

No comments: