Saturday, February 10, 2007

More Retroactive Blogging, Part I: Miyazaki's Shishigawa Valley

Hey kids. This one is for all of my Chicago and NYC friends and family. I know it's been cold out there so I thought I'd get write a bit about a short camping trip I did last summer. The Shishigawa Valley is located between Takachiho and Nobeoka. Most Japanese don't even know where it is, a real shame given that it's probably the most beautiful place in all of Kyushu. On the other hand, anonymity keeps the lame folks away. More for me and anyone else willing to tread the path less traveled.

I first went to Shishigawa for the multi-pitch slab climbing (see former posts). Last August's trip was more about chilling out next to the river, jumping through some waterfalls, munching on wild boar, and hiking to the top of Hokodake, a lovely granite face that can also be climbed in seven or so pitches of sometimes challenging slab. My mate on this trip was Adam, a ginger Kiwi (New Zealander) who likes the drink at least as much as he likes spending time alone with his sheep (for those that don't know, New Zealanders have what some would call an "unorthodox" link to these woolly farm animals). An amazing time was had.




Waterfall at upper pool. You can swim behind this one and watch the water cascade over the ledge (see below).






Shot from behind the fall. Adam is doing his imitation of Willem Defoe in "Platoon". Classic.





Wildboar and veggies, cooked at the table. Not shown: beers, semi-intoxicated lads with dilussions of grandeur musing about how Youtube was actually their idea.



Hokodake's face. We ended up summiting from the backside of the capstone.





Half way up the hike to Hokodake. To the left of me is a massive drop off.



The summit marker.

No comments: