Monday, March 24, 2008

2008 Backpacking Trip #2: Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Area

I’ve got the backpacking bug it seems. After three nights in a warm bed and modern house, my roommate and I decided it was time to do a leisurely backpacking trip into the south end of Sycamore Canyon. We chose the Parson’s Spring trail which is accessed via a dirt road outside Cottonwood. Having not paid much attention to the map, I neglected to prepare for the five creek crossings we would face. Compounding this was the high volume of water Sycamore has right now due to a pretty wet winter. I tried crossing with my boots off and ended up hurting my bare feet. So, I did like any sane person would: just walk right through the creek crossings as if I wasn’t actually knee to waist deep in chilly water. After 3.5 miles of this we reached a small camping area near Parson’s and hung out for the night. Hiked out the next day around 11am. Like I said, it was a leisurely trip, really just an excuse to get out of the house and see a cool area.
Rim view of Sycamore creek as it flows out of Sycamore Canyon


The ubiquitous Cottonwoods and Sycamores of the Canyon's reparian zone
Red rock walls of the canyon

A calm but wide part of Sycamore Creek


Wet boots!



On the ride home we stopped for Mexican food in Cottonwood...right across from "Ye Ole Hippie Emporium". While we ate lunch, two guys came in to eat, one carrying a pistol on his hip. Very Wild West. Very Arizona.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ravines, 'wet' boots, canyon's,

Did Heath and Jake come along for the ride?

Jeezus it looks hot though...